Thursday

Waka, Waka

I once stated that sport is close to the heart of God. I am not sure I would say that now, especially given the professionalisation of sport codes plus the politics, power and money involved.

I think my original idea was that sport is such a useful social integrator and nation builder. It is also team and character building. I certainly encourage my boys to participate, regardless of how well they do. I also perceive that people drawn from a sporting past, are generally more effective in leadership and teamwork. Who knows?

Last night South Africa kicked off the 2010 world cup and Shakira sang her theme song, Waka Waka, which I cannot accurately define better than awake, awake. The song cuts to the real essence and heartbeat of the game, which is about getting up and fighting on. Its about standing for something and representing your nation.


You're a good soldier, choosing your battles ...
pick yourself up and dust yourself off, and back in the saddle

You're on the frontline, everyone's watching
You know it's serious, we're getting closer, this isnt over

The pressure is on, you feel it, but you've got it all, believe it

When you fall get up, Oh oh...
And if you fall get up, Oh oh...

I don't want to get deep into a subject I don't fully understand, but for all who are struggling on this day, for all who are fighting for their faith ... know that a great cloud of witnesses is watching, so get up and fight on. And may I wish you a great world cup day. May the best team win.

(c) Peter Eleazar @ www.4u2live.net

No comments: